Saturday, June 30, 2012

Dad's Hands - Belated Father's Day Tribute

I am a hand person; that is one of the first things that I notice about people - their hands.  I notice the shape of their hands, fingers, and nails.  I cannot help it.  I have noticed people's hands for as long as I could remember. 

My dad had great hands.  In one of my favorite pictures of Dad and Jacob, all you can see of my dad is his hands.  It was taken at my cousins' (yes plural, they are identical twins) high school graduation open house.  I love this picture because does it not only feature 2 of my 3 favorite guys, but Jacob's expression is showing a glimpse of the opinionated person that we have all come to know and love.  And it shows the closeness that Dad and Jacob had between them.  Dad loved his family, but when Jacob was born he became the sun and the moon in my dad's world.  They naturally gravitated towards each other and Jacob could never do any wrong.  I wish I had a nickel for everytime my dad would tell me, "He's fine, Jen.", when I thought Jacob was doing something he shouldn't.  Jacob's face is dirty, but his hands are grasping Grandpa's fingers. 



My dad's hands were always neat and clean.  I cannot remember him having any dirt on them or underneath his nails.  His nails were always neatly trimmed, though he did have a habit of chewing them every once in a while.  A habit that Jacob has also picked up from his dad. 

I miss my dad's hands.  I miss how he would raise one high in the air in a fist when he was excited, how he held cards when he played euchere, and how they felt when they patted our shoulders.  The only jewelry Dad wore was his wedding ring and masonic ring and without them his hands looked naked.  They seemed to be permanently tanned from numerous summers spent mowing they yard. 

The chorus from the song "Daddy's Hands" describes my dad's hands perfectly:

                     Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin'
                     Daddy's hands were hard as steel when I done wrong.
                    Daddy's hands weren't always gentle
                    But I've come to understand ,
                   There was always love in Daddy's hands.

So happy belated Father's Day, Dad.  I know you are looking down on us and smiling.  All I ask is that you always keep Jacob safe in your hands as he grows up and experiences all that life has to offer. 





No comments:

Post a Comment